Pages

Feb 7, 2013

Freezing Creeping



This evening on a whim my roommates and I decided to trek over a couple of blocks to 10th avenue and 27th street for the Kenneth Cole fashion show. It is the first day of New York Fall Fashion Week... so why not.. right?!? Well. We arrived around 6:30pm for the 7:00pm show to a line of the show's attendees who had the lucky golden (or should I say black..) ticket in hand. We stood near all the photographers at the backstage entrance--cameras in hand--hoping for the perfect photo to capture the brisk evening.


After a while of watching stressed out PR girls deal with NYC fire code building inspectors and usher fashionably late guests it was only a small group of people, including us, that were the only ones left. We knew the models would be coming out afterwards so we stayed and waited for the show to be over. However, after a few minutes of peering through the giant windows of the gallery out of sheer cold boredom we noticed that the show was actually visible! The show was located in the basement of the in-renovation-gallery and the huge staircase leading to the lower level left a perfect viewing slice of the runway. Thus, I would say we almost* had front row tickets to the show and watched it live.

















The show was beautiful. It was filled with heavy-bulky sweaters and coats. I was loving all of the dark leathers--especially how the leathers draped and moved as the models walked the runway. I need some slouchy leather pants ASAP. The attention to detail around the collar area was also very intriguing. I'm glad to see neck/collar embellishments/details will be staying around as muted and matte rather than embellished and shiny.. (although this is only the first day of Fashion week so who knows what showstopping glitz is next)

Nothing is more exhilarating than seeing a fashion show live and in person. I always forget that these idols, models, muses, and characters are actually real people. They seem almost fake until they are right in front of your eyes. As much as I wish I was inside the warmth of the gallery it was fun to watch from the outside. My roommates and I agreed that this experience will make the moment when we arrive to a show with our own ticket in hand even more enjoyable and momentous--we will see the girls standing outside-- those wondering how they can sneak in--and think.. I remember that.



I am still waiting for that moment... but for now sneaking and observing the show from an outside perspective is where I'm at. My day will come, but why not go out and experience the shows atmosphere instead of watch a live stream from only a few blocks away? I'm not in Kansas anymore. I would rather go out and experience it all in the real.


Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment

Theme created by PIXEL HAZE DESIGNS